x1Kenny Giles   
 x2Blair Bateman (u20)   
 x3Ryan Milne (u20)   
 x4Danny McAlistair (u20)   
 x5Fraser SheridanScorerYellow Card 
Off45x6Ciaran Struthers (u20)   
 x7Dylan O’Hagan (u20) Yellow Card 
 x8Jeff Fergus   
Off34x9Jordan Pirrie   
 x10Conor McAteer (u20)   
On34 12Josh Devine (u20)   
On45 14Mark Anthony Byrne (u20)   

20/11/2015  |  League

Cumbernauld Colts   1  v  3  Spartans

Colts welcomed Spartans to Broadwood Stadium for a league match. The teams had met each other in the earlier part of the season when the Cumbernauld youngsters threw away a two goal lead in the dying moments of a League Cup tie, to leave Edinburgh with a creditable but ultimately disappointing 2-2 draw. Spartans, last seasons League and Cup winners are a well established outfit at this level, well coached and very professional in their approach.

The game kicked off in wintry conditions and the local youngsters could not have wished for a worse start to the game. Within seconds, Colts Pirrie was caught on the ball in the centre of the field giving unnecessary possession away and as Spartans swept the ball forward, defender McAllistair appeared to have it under control but unbelievably passed it into the path of the onrushing Spartans striker who gleefully knocked it into the empty net. To add further insult, Pirrie picked up an injury during the initial tackle which ultimately saw him limp out of the game midway through the first half.

Colts tried hard to drag themselves back into the game and enjoyed a lot of possession, but there was a distinct lack of quality in their play on the night and they struggled to find any rhythm. They created a few openings and had opportunities to equalise, the best chance falling to a trialist striker who unfortunately shot over from 10 yards with the goal at his mercy.

Spartans to their credit were defending well and always looked capable when attacking. This was to prove true when a throw in on the Colts left was poorly defended and the Spartans striker was quickest to react and put the Edinburgh side two up.

Again the Colts tried hard to get back into the game, but were architects of their own downfall when the normally reliable Giles missed a high ball into the box leaving the Spartans defender with a simple task to head the ball into the unguarded net.

Half time 0-3

Colts made further changes at the break and appeared determined to get back into the match. After 62 minutes, a good move on the left resulted in the ball being played into Sheridan and the young midfielder fired in a lovely shot from 22 yards, low into the Spartans net. The Colts coaching staff hoped this goal would spark the youngsters into action and set up a grand stand end to the game. McAteer had an opportunity to run away from the defence and onto a long pass, but he lost control and allowed the Spartans defence time to recover.

Spartans continued to play with great enthusiasm and had further chances to score. Giles made some good stops to keep the Edinburgh side at bay, but ultimately they ran out worthy winners on the night.

Full time 1-3

A very disappointing display from the Colts, especially after their fine run of form in recent matches. Spartans on the night punished the youngsters for simple mistakes and they themselves looked a fine side. The Colts will hopefully learn from this performance and look forward to the next match which is the Scottish Cup away to Championship side Queen of the South, knowing a much improved performance is required against their full time opponents.