x1Kenny Giles   
 x2Blair Bateman (u20)   
 x3Ryan Milne (u20)Scorer  
 x4Michael McGaraghan (u20)   
 x5Mark Anthony Byrne (u20)   
 x6Fraser Sheridan Yellow Card 
 x7Dylan O’Hagan (u20) Yellow Card 
 x8Jeff Fergus   
 x9Jordan Pirrie Yellow Card 
Off80x10Alex Tilley   
 x11Cammy McKay (u20)   
On80 12Josh Devine (u20)   

04/12/2015  |  League

Cumbernauld Colts   1  v  1  Herriot Watt University

Colts welcomed Herriot Watt University to Broadwood Stadium for a league match on a wet and windy evening. The weather conditions were in fact so bad, they decision to play the game should have been questioned.

The game kicked off with the wind behind the Colts youngsters and blowing towards the Leisure Centre end. Predictably the Colts had the majority of the play but despite the obvious expectation that the strong wind behind would be an advantage, it turned out to be the opposite as the ball continually ran away from the players who were struggling to control it in such extreme conditions. Colts manufactured a number of chances in the first half as Herriot Watt camped in around their own penalty area.

Byrne, Fergus and Tilley all squandered good opportunities to open the scoring before a typical Tilley run into the box saw him upended by a defender and a penalty was awarded.

Skipper Milne stepped forward to take the kick and must be applauded for controlling the penalty with the right amount of power as any over kicking could have seen it end up in Kilsyth such was the wind.

The Colts remained in total control of the game but could not add to the scoreline prior to the break.

Half time 1-0

Colts came out in the second half and too their credit managed to push the University side back for much of the half but found it difficult to break down the defence and the wind which was now gusting with unbelievable force. At one point, a Colts attempt to play the ball wide saw the ball float in mid air and fail to drop much to the amazement of those watching.

However as almost always happens in such games, Herriot Watt made a break up field and fashioned a goal out of nothing. Their striker reacted quickly to a through ball and put it past Giles who had been redundant for most of the evening.

Full time 1-1

A disappointing result for Colts but it is hard to be critical when trying to play football in such ridiculous conditions. There was no lack of effort but understandably a lack of quality which turned the game into a bit of a farce.