GK1Sam George   
 RB2Scott Davidson   
 CB3Andy Ward (c)   
 CB4Daniel McFarlane   
 LB5Lewis Wilson   
 CM6Jordan Marshall   
Off70CM7Gavin Lachlan   
 CM8Jamie BroadfootScorer  
Off65CF9Andy Hunter   
Off45RM10Broque Watson   
 LM11Stephen O'Neill   
  12Chris Fahey   
  13Jeff Fergus   
On70 14Jamie Barclay   
  15Craig Murray   
On65 16Fraser Sheridan   
On45 17Jonathan Black   
  18Conor McKenzie   

25/02/2017  |  League

Cumbernauld Colts   1  v  3  Vale of Leithen

It was another disappointing result for Colts who were looking to get back on the rails against Vale of Leithen at Broadwood on Saturday, following two consecutive defeats at the hands of teams below them in the league, this was an opportunity missed. Colts went into the match with Kirwan and Brown joining the already injured pair Pirrie and Murray. Black dropped to the bench as Skipper Ward returned with Hunter and Watson the other two changes from last weekend�s starting eleven.

The game started well for the Colts, creating a couple of chances early in the match and hit the woodwork before Jamie Broadfoot slotted the ball home well following a nice passage of play to give the home side the lead. Minutes later the home support thought it was two when a header inside the six yard box by Hunter was clear off the line and onto the bar by a Vale defender. Colts were on top at this point but were unable to capitalise.

It was a decent game with both side playing some good flowing football, the visitors stepped up their efforts immediately and were rewarded with an equalising goal, a long ball out of defence to attack saw the big powerful visiting striker showed a great turn of speed and strength to escape the retreating Colts defenders, round the advancing George in the Colts goal, slotting home from a narrow angle. 1-1
As the half draw to a close the visitors snatched the lead when there appeared to be little danger, a speculative ball into the box was neither dealt with by Ward or keeper George leaving the Vale striker with a simple tap in from close range.

There was not much to note in the remaining few minutes of the half with the visitors going in at the break with the one goal advantage.
Half Time 1-2

The teams emerged for the second half with the Colts making one change, Johnny Black replacing Broque Watson on the right wing.
The second period was another even encounter with both sides having periods of possession without creating any clear changes. It was however the Vale who extended their lead to give them a two goal cushion, the Colts will be disappointed with their defending again, when the Vales number 9 picked up the ball outside the centre circle, he was allowed to advance forward at pass, leaving the Colts midfield and defence without challenge, to coolly pass the ball into the back of the net past the advancing George. 1-3

The Colts had a great chance to pull one back when a deep cross from the left was met by the rising Lachlan six yards out only to see his goal bound header deflected onto the bar and scrambled clear, minutes later they hit the woodwork again when a Black effort kit the post with the keeper beaten..

The Colts introduced Sheridan for Lachlan in an effort to add some energy into their play, the game however was ticking away and it was proving not to their day, firstly Hunter failed to connect from close range, then Black missed their best opportunity, put in on goal he rounded the keeper on the left only to slice his shot high and wide with the empty goal gapping.

Time ran out for the Colts who will be disappointed by the result, in the end poor defending gifted their opponent the three points, just as disappointing was that they failed to play the game at the tempo we have been accustomed to and although they created a number of opportunities, never really looked like they would salvage anything.

Full Time 1-3