GK1Chris Fahey   
 RB2Ross Ballantyne (vc)   
 LB3Jeff Fergus   
 CB4Gavin Lachlan   
Off75CB5Andy Ward (c)   
Off65CM6Jordan Pirrie   
 RWB7Stephen O'NeillScorer  
 CM8Craig Murray   
 CF9Sean Brown   
 CF10Jamie Broadfoot   
Off80LWB11Fraser Sheridan   
On65 12Jamie Barclay   
  13Harry Purves   
On80 14Conor McKenzie   
  15Mark Batchelor   
  16Jonathan Black   
On75 17Mark Anthony Byrne (u20)   

28/04/2017  |  League Cup

Cumbernauld Colts   1  v  2  BSC Glasgow

COLTS crashed out of the Lowland League Cup on a Friday night to forget at Broadwood Stadium.

Second half goals from Aiden Ferris and Blair Lyons were enough to secure BSC Glasgow’s place in the second round with Stephen O’Neill grabbing a late consolation for Colts from the spot.

Colts started the game slowly and it was the visitors who created the better of the early opportunities.
And from one of those early chances former Colts man Robbie Duncan went close to heading an opener in 15 minutes when he glanced narrowly wide of Chris Fahey’s post from a Lyons cross.

The hosts began to grow into the game and in 23 minutes Jamie Broadfoot should have at least hit the target with a header from O'Neill's corner.
But the clearest opening of the game arrived for the visitors in 31 minutes when danger man Lyons was sent clear but Fahey narrowed the angle superbly and blocked the strikers effort.
The visitors continued to create the better openings as the first half drew to a close however Colts did begin to pose more of an attacking threat but on too many occasions the final ball let them down.

There wasn’t much to separate the sides in the early exchanges of the second half and in 52 minutes Colts youngster Jeff Fergus almost found the net for when he swivelled superbly in the box and sent a powerful volley towards goal but BSC keeper Stephen Barr saved superbly.
And from the resulting corner Gavin Lachlan should have scored with a back post header from Broadfoot’s pin point delivery but he couldn’t find the target.

The game was much more open in the second period and in 57 minutes only a superb double save from Fahey denied Duncan and then Lyons from giving the visitors a deserved lead.
Fahey’s heroics should have been a wake-up call from the Colts defence but just after the hour mark the visitors eventually did open the scoring when criminal defending allowed Ferris to lash the ball high into the roof of the net from 10 yards with Fahey stranded.

And matters went from bad to worse for Colts in 69 minutes when Arnult Bembo robbed O'Neill of possession in the middle of the park before releasing Lyons and the BSC striker ran in on goal and showed great composure to slide the ball low past Fahey.

Colts were left chasing the game in the closing stages as the Cumbernauld men tried to find an avenue back into this cup tie but again on too many occasions the final ball let them down.
The hosts did manage a consolation in injury time when Broadfoot was tripped in the box and after the referee pointed to the spot O'Neill made no mistake sending Barr the wrong way.
However O’Neill’s spot kick offered little comfort as there no time remaining for Colts to find an equaliser leaving the Cumbernauld side to settle for an early exist from this season’s Lowland League Cup.

James Orr and Craig McKinlay’s men will now focus all their attention on the SFA South Region Challenge Cup Final on Sunday 28 May when they meet East Kilbride at the Falkirk Stadium.

Cumbernauld Colts; Fahey, Ballantyne, Fergus, Pirrie, Ward, Lachlan, O’Neill, Murray, Brown, Broadfoot, Sheridan. Subs; Barclay, Purves, McKenzie, Batchelor, Black, Byrne.

BSC Glasgow; Barr, Bowers, Traynor, Bell, Toner, Bembo, Corrieri, Duncan, Lyons, Ferris, Brown. Subs; Niven, Jones, Woods, Beckett, Mansoor, Keys, Wilton.

Stuart Coleman