GK1Chris Fahey   
 RB2Andy Hunter   
 LB3Jeff Fergus   
 CB4Andy Ward (c)   
 CB5Jordan Marshall Yellow Card 
 CM6Craig Murray   
 RWB7Jonathan Black   
OffxCM8Jordan Pirrie   
 CF9Sean BrownScorer  
 CF10Jamie BroadfootScorerYellow Card 
 LWB11Fraser SheridanScorer  
  12Ross Ballantyne (vc)   
Onx 14Gavin Lachlan   
  15Stephen O'Neill   
  16Conor McKenzie   

07/04/2017  |  South of Scotland

East Stirlingshire   2  v  3  Cumbernauld Colts

SFA South Region Challenge Cup Semi-Final

Falkirk Stadium

The COLTS reached their first ever senior cup final with a stunning victory over East Stirlingshire at the Falkirk Stadium.

Goals from Sean Brown, Jamie Broadfoot and Fraser Sheridan ensured the Broadwood outfit made history on Friday evening by booking their place in the final of the SFA South Region Challenge Cup.

Paul Sludden and Connor Greene responded for Shire but the men from Cumbernauld proved too strong and they'll now meet East Kilbride who overcame Lothian Thistle, in the final.

Colts made the perfect start when they opened the scoring with only a minute on the clock when Broadfoot delivered a dangerous free kick into the box and Brown flicked the ball beyond Shire's keeper Jamie Barclay.

But the hosts hit back in 18 minutes when the Colts rearguard sat back allowing Shire midfielder Sludden to take up good position just outside the box and he rifled a low shot past Chris Fahey.

Colts looked to get their noses back in front in 26 minutes when a sweeping move allowed Sheridan to find space just inside the right edge of the box but the youngster shot narrowly wide.

However as the first half drew to a close the hosts finished stronger with David Grant having a close range effort cleared off the line by Andy Ward and then Sludden watched his angled drive crash off the bar with Fahey well beaten.

Both teams began the second period with intent and in 55 minutes Colts went close to grabbing their second when Sheridan found space on the right to deliver a teasing cross into the box and Brown volleyed narrowly over the bar.

And Colts did edge in front just before the hour mark after they were awarded a free kick on the edge of the box when Shire's Andrew Grant deliberately handled as Brown tried to run in on goal.

The foul could have seen the Shire centre half receive his marching orders, but all was forgotten when Broadfoot stepped up to send a tremendous free kick into Barclay's top left corner, it was sensational strike by the Colts playmaker.

However Shire began to work their way back into the game and in 65 minutes Andy Rodgers went close with a well taken glancing gender but Fahey made an excellent save.

And then with ten minutes remaining Rodgers was presented with another opportunity on the edge of box but he blasted the ball wide of the target.

But with 6 minutes remaining Colts all but secured their deserved place in the final when a flowing move involving Broadfoot, Murray and Brown was finished off by youngster Sheridan who drilled the ball low past Barclay from 15 yards to send the travelling Colts fans wild.

The hosts threw what they had left at the Colts rearguard in the closing stages and although they did grab a late consolation courtesy of Greene's close range header, the Colts remained resolute to secure the historic win.

The victory is a great achievement for everyone involved with the club and in particular for management duo James Orr and Craig McKinlay in leading Colts to the first final with a team only 18 months in existence.

And special mention must be made that the Colts team on the night featured five players who are under 20 years of age, which hugely illustrates the club's player development process.

East Stirling; Barclay, MacGregor, Ramsay, Greene, A Grant, Brisbane, Rodgers, Ure, D Grant, Sludden, Glasgow. Subs; Faulds, Oliver, Hogg, Murray, Shaw, White, Allison.

Cumbernauld Colts; Fahey, Hunter, Fergus, Marshall, Ward, Pirrie, Black, Murray, Brown, Broadfoot, Sheridan. Subs; Ballantyne, Lachlan, McKenzie, O'Neill.

Stuart Coleman