GK1Kenny Giles   
 RB2Michael McGaraghan (u20)   
 CB3Blair Bateman (u20)   
 CB4Danny McAlistair (u20)   
 LB5Jeff Fergus   
 CM6Mark Anthony Byrne (u20)   
 CM7Alex Foy (U20)   
 CM8Ryan Flannigan (u20)   
 LW9Conor McAteer (u20)Scorer  
 CF10Connor MurphyScorerx3  
 RW11Fraser Sheridan   
  12Josh Devine (u20)   
  13Dylan O’Hagan (u20)   

20/01/2017  |  League

Edinburgh University   1  v  4  Cumbernauld Colts

Colts' first game since the winter break saw them travel to Peffermill looking to do the double over Edinburgh University after a 1-0 win at Broadwood in September.

On a patchy grass surface Colts started off seeing more of the ball than the home side and made this count on 20 minutes as Connor Murphy slotted home a good cross from McAteer. This marked the strikers first goal since making the step up from the under 19's after the Christmas break.

The striker minutes later then had a great chance to make it 2-0 when one on one with the home keeper but pulled his shot wide of the goal.

Colts remained strong at the back and defended well to keep Edinburgh at bay. And their resolute defending was rewarded at the other end as Murphy scored his second and doubled Colts lead minutes before half time when after a fine passing move he was on hand at the back post to score.

Half Time 0-2

The second half got underway but less than a minute after the restart there was a strong clash of heads between Colts' Alex Foy and his opposite number which saw a 20 minute stoppage as both players received treatment. Foy was patched up and continued in the game but the Edinburgh midfielder was taken to hospital to recover.

After the extended break it was the home side who started the brightest and they pulled a goal back after some sharp play got in behind Colts defence and the ball was slotted past Giles to make the scoreline 2-1.

This didn't dishearten Colts as it was Murphy who restored Colts 2 goal cushion with his hattrick as he headed home from another cross to claim his third of the game. Moments after that centre back Bateman thought he had Colts fourth from a corner however the referee gave handball against Murphy in the build up to the goal.

As the clock ticked on both teams had chances to grab a goal but a good save from Giles for Colts kept the lead in tact which was extended through Connor McAteer as the winger picked the ball up 25 yards from goal the ball soared into the top corner the keeper was left helpless and Colts went 4-1 up.

The game also saw Colts introduce Matthew Dick from the under 16s midway through the second half. The young midfielder settled well into the game and was unlucky with a few minutes left when his curling right foot shot narrowly missed the target as Colts looked to finish the game off.

A good night in the capital for the Colts youngsters who came home with 3 points after a difficult challenge.

Full Time 1-4