01/07/2017  |  Friendly

Cumbernauld Colts   2  v  1  Buckie Thistle

In Colts first pre season match of this campaign Highland League champions Buckie Thistle made the journey south for an entertaining match at Broadwood Stadium.

The new look Colts team began with four players who made the step up from the under 20's at the end of last season along with O'Neil, Murray, George, Lachlan and Selkirk who's contracts were extended for this season and two trialists making up the starting 11.

It was Colts who started the brightest but could have been behind early on when Milne was caught out at the back that allowed Chris Angus to go through one on one with George but the home keeper saved well.

Following the early scare it was Colts who looked the most likely to score and the home side went one nil up after good play on the left wing saw the ball float into the box and after a bit of a scramble Fraser Sheridan was on hand to slot the ball home to make it one nil to Colts.

Colts continued to press which saw Murray and Fergus have efforts from distance neither of which caused the keeper any problems and the visitors had a few efforts from outside the box as well which Sam George dealt with comfortably.

The hosts then doubled their lead after O'Neil showed a great piece of skill on the left to fool the defender and delivered a great cross into the box that was met once again at the back post by Fraser Sheridan who made the scoreline 2-0.

Half Time 2-0

The second half got under way which saw Robbie Kelly replace Sam George in goal and Pirrie and McKenzie enter for Fergus and Sheridan.

The match restarted and it was the visitors who started the quickest and were awarded a penalty when after a through ball played in behind the Colts defence the Buckie striker was brought down by debutant keeper Kelly who was slow off his line and caught the player as he went to ground. The penalty was taken and the Highland league champions pulled a goal back, 2-1.

Colts though seen most of the ball after the goal but were struggling to create as much in the second half as they did in the first but were assured at the back with Milne and Piscassio playing well in the centre.

With 15 minutes on the clock Colts made their final three substitutions of the day with 20s players Foy, Bateman and Nash entering to make their debuts taking the total of under 20s players to appear on the day to 7 and showing why they are making these steps forward each giving assured performances at first team level, showing what the club is all about.

The match came to a close on what was an encouraging performance to start off the new season ahead.

Full Time 2-1