GK1Max Currie   
 RB2Richard Kirwan   
OffxLB3Jeff Fergus   
 CB4Stephen Kerr   
 CB5Greg Pascazio   
 LM6Jordan Marshall   
 RW7Stephen O'Neill   
 CM8Gavin Lachlan Yellow Card 
 CF9Sean Brown   
 RM10Craig Murray Yellow Card 
OffxLW11Craig Holmes   
Onx 12Lewis Wilson   
Onx 14Michael Wallace   
  15Anthony Eadie   
  16Fraser Sheridan   
  17Kyle Gallagher   
  18Conor McKenzie   

13/01/2018  |  League

University of Stirling   2  v  0  Cumbernauld Colts

Our second game of the year saw us continue to play some open and expansive football but on this occasion we came up against a defensively well marshalled University of Stirling side who made sure the 3 points did not return to Broadwood.
The game started brightly with Murray and O�Neil causing the home side some concern but Stirling gave early notice that the Colts would have to work hard if the wished to take anything from this game.
This led to frustration in the away teams� ranks and it wasn�t long before Murray found his way into the book for a needless trip on his Stirling counterpart.
Both teams settled into the game with the Colts having the majority of the possession and pressure but a lapse in concentration allowed the home side to take the lead on the 30th minute when a slack pass in the midst of a Colts� attack led to a loss of possession and a swift counter attack which led to the Stirling number 9 slotting the ball past the helpless Currie in the Colts� goal.
This was a bitter pill to swallow given the Colts dominance, the Colts continued to have the upper hand as they tried desperately to restore parity going into half time. The home defence however remained resolute keeping the Colts at bay, retaining their slim advantage.
Half Time: University of Stirling 1, Cumbernauld Colts 0
Colts started the second half as they left off and continued to press the University side for an equaliser. First up was Craig Murray with a powerful shot from outside the box which looked net bound until the home keeper produced an acrobatic save to knock the ball out for a corner. Next Brown connected with a ball into the Stirling 6 yard box but again the home keeper was a match, this time leaping to his left to parry the ball around the post. One for the cameras!
Colts turned to the bench for answers with Holmes and Fergus making way for Wallace and Wilson, on his first appearance since returning from Clyde on loan. The changes added fresh impetus but the Stirling rear guard refused to be breached. Wallace was looking lively and when on a move down the right he cut inside leaving his marker in his wake and unleashed a drive from 25 yards out which looked goal bound only to see the keeper again come to the home sides rescue with a spectacular save high to his left.
The home side reverted to their bench and it almost had an immediate effect when substitute Lyons almost slotted home with his first touch of the ball. It wasn�t long though until they did get their second, against the run of play, when Bonar ghosted in at the back post to tap a diagonal free kick into the back of the Colts� net with 7 minutes of normal time remaining,
Colts however refused to admit defeat and after swapping McKenzie for Marshall continued to trouble the home side with Brown being released on a one to one with the Stirling keeper, Walker, only to see him again pulling off a fantastic save to deny the big striker.
Happy with their lot, the home side made a couple of substitutions to run down the clock to the final whistle.
Both our players, management team and supporters left the Falkirk Stadium at a loss to understand how we had failed to take anything from the game and wondering what might have been had chances been taken.
Full Time: University of Stirling 2, Cumbernauld Colts 0
The Colts have a free week next weekend with their next league fixture a tough away match to a much improved Whitehill Welfare on Saturday 27th January, KO 2pm!