Off45GK1Ronan Fallens   
 RB2Conor McKenzie   
 LB3Jeff Fergus   
 CB4Greg Pascazio   
 CB5Scott Davidson   
 CM6Jordan Marshall   
 RWB7Craig HolmesScorerYellow Card 
 CM8Gavin Lachlan   
 CF9Sean Brown   
 CF10Michael WallaceScorer  
Off45LWB11Paul Nash    
Off78 12Stephen O'Neill   
On45 13Harry Purves   
  14Andy Hunter   
  15Connor McMullan   
  16Lewis Wilson   
On78 17Stephen Kerr   

27/04/2018  |  League Cup

Cumbernauld Colts   2  v  0  Gala Fairydean Rovers

COLTS booked their place in the Lowland League Cup last four after edging out Gala Fairydean at Broadwood on Friday evening.

The game was by no means a classic cup tie, but second half strikes from Craig Holmes and Michael Wallace were enough to keep the Cumbernauld men’s hunt for silverware alive.
James Orr and Craig McKinlay’s men will now face Stirling University in the semi-final at Broadwood on Saturday.

Colts created the first opportunity of the game in 3 minutes when Wallace found himself one on one with Gala keeper Lewis Muir but the stopper was equal to his effort.
Then in 7 minutes Sean Brown sent a looping header towards goal which cause panic in the Gala defence, but Muir managed to tip the ball onto the bar before the danger was cleared.

The game was being played at a frantic pace and Gala were showing they were up for the fight, with the Colts players being afforded little time on the ball in the middle of the park.
However the visitors weren't creating much in front of goal, and it was the hosts who again went close to making the breakthrough on the half hour when Greg Pascazio sent a powerful header narrowly over the bar with Muir rooted to the spot.
Colts had another good opportunity in 42 minutes when youngster Paul Nash intercepted a loose clearance and ran in on goal before feeding Wallace but the striker fired narrowly over the bar.

Gala started the second half much better and Colts keeper Harry Purves, who replaced the injured Ronan Fallens at half-time, had to be alert to prevent Scott Davidson knocking the ball into his own net after some Gala pressure.

The hosts also introduced Stephen O’Neill at half-time replacing youngster Nash, and O’Neill’s introduction was to be a deciding factor this cup tie.
Colts grabbed the deserved opener in 55 minutes when Wallace was bundled in the box by visiting keeper Muir after great work in the build up by O’Neill, and the referee pointed to the spot.
Holmes stepped up to confidently send Muir the wrong way and he celebrated his spot kick in style with some spectacular acrobatics.

Colts began to dominate and in 72 minutes the Cumbernauld men took control of the tie when O'Neill again produced some great work on the left wing before squaring the ball for Wallace who slid the ball into the net from 6 yards.
And the hosts almost finished the game in style in the final minute when a neat counter attack saw Brown cut in from the right before firing a left foot shot towards the bottom corner, but the ball struck the outside of the post with Muir beaten.

The next outing for Colts is on Wednesday evening when they travel to play Vale of Leithen in their final Lowland League fixture, where victory will secure a respectable sixth place finish for the Cumbernauld men.